I’ve recently found myself doing a lot of vegan baking. Mostly because I’m always looking for healthier baked goods, and if something is vegan it means no dairy or eggs which means no cholesterol! I also love vegan baking because it is usually a lot easier, you can often skip using a mixer and often have a lot of the ingredients on hand since they aren’t perishable.
In the case of these yummy banana oatmeal cookies, they have the added bonus of banana (yay potassium) and they come together pretty quick. This recipe is an adaptation of the Banana Everything Cookie from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I am a big fan of Isa, and I have many of her cooking and baking books so I highly recommend you check her out!
The recipe calls for quick cooking oats (not instant oats) but instead I used rolled oats since I always have them on hand. I just pulsed them 5 times in my food processor to break them down first.
For the bananas, you can either mash them by hand, or if you want to get the banana really smooth you can use a blender or small food processor, which is what I always like to use. I’m attached to my mixer, so that is what I used in the pictures, but I’ve also mixed this recipe up by hand. Just put the pureed banana, oil (I like to use safflower oil), brown sugar, sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
Sift the flour into a separate bowl and add the baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk well to make sure the spices and baking soda are evenly distributed throughout the flour, then add to the wet ingredients.
Stir the wet and dry ingredients together, then add the oatmeal, pecans and chocolate chips. Scoop out about 1.5 tablespoons of dough for each cookie. I like to use my handy 1.5 Tablespoon scoop for this (I highly recommend the oxo cookie scoop shown below).
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) mashed/pureed banana (about 1 very ripe banana)
- 1/3 cup oil (canola or safflower)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (dip & sweep method)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats (or 2 cups quick cooking oats)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- If using rolled oats pulse 5-6 times in a food processor. If you are using quick cooking oats you do not need to do this.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the mashed banana, oil, sugars and vanilla. Mix well to combine and make sure there are no lumps of brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl sift the all-purpose flour and add the baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until jut combined, then add the oats, pecans and chocolate chips.
- Mix well until the oats are completely moist. Scoop out 1.5 Tablespoons of dough for each cookie and place on prepared cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Flatten each cookie a little with the palm of your hand.
- Bake at 350 for 1-12 minutes, the cookies should be lightly browned. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.