I happened to be making Rice Krispie treats the other day (I was using them to mold something for a cake order)., and I had a bunch left over. Since Valentines Day was coming up I thought I would make something for the hubs. The result: these cute chocolate covered heart treats.
I started with the traditional Rice Krispie treat recipe. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a big microwave safe bowl (my pampered chef glass bowl was great for this). To it add about 5-6 cups of mini marshmallows.
Microwave for another 1 minute 45 seconds. The marshmallows will be nice and melty. Give them a stir, then mix in 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal (I used a generic store brand). Make sure they are well coated in melted mallow, then pour into a greased 9×13 pan.
Allow to cool completely, meanwhile make some chocolate ganache. Once cool use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out hearts. Place them on a wire rack over a bowl and pour the warm ganache over top.
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5-6 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal (generic brand works fine)
- 9x13 inch cake pan lightly greased
- In a large glass bowl melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave on half power for about 1 minute. Continue to microwave at half power for short intervals (10-20 seconds) until butter is melted.
- Add the 5-6 cups of mini marshmallows to the bowl and stir to coat with the butter. Microwave the marshmallows for about 1 minute and 45 seconds to melt.
- Stir the marshmallows to make sure they are completely melted, if not pop back in the microwave for a few more seconds until fully melted.
- Add the 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal to the marshmallows and stir to coat. Immediately pour the mixture into the greased pan and spread out so it is nice and even.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting with a knife or your favorite cutter.